2013 SMALL GRANTS GUIDELINES AND INSTRUCTIONS
North Florida Susan G. Komen for the Cure - along with those who generously support us with their talent, time and resources—is working to better the lives of those facing breast cancer in our community.
Beginning April 1, 2013, the Komen North Florida Affiliate is offering small grants up to $5,000 to support breast health education projects, conferences, and one time special program expenses.
Small Grants Applications are accepted throughout the year as long as funds are available. Requests must be received at least six weeks prior to any event.
Applicants and institutions must conform to the following eligibility criteria to be considered for funding:
· Applicants must ensure that all past and current Komen-funded grants or awards are up-to-date and in compliance with Komen requirements.
· Institutions must be located in or providing services to one or more of the following locations: Baker, Clay, Duval, Nassau, or St. Johns counties.
· Project must be specific to breast health and/or breast cancer
· The applicant must be a non-profit organization with federal tax exemption. Individuals may not receive grants.
· Funding requests should not be for projects that would normally go through the yearly peer-reviewed Komen Large Grant process.
Funds may be used for the following types of program expenses:
• Educational materials
• Meeting Costs
• Other direct program expenses
• Equipment for educational purposes
Funds may not be used for the following purposes:
• Salaries and fringe benefits
• Medical or scientific research
• Scholarships or fellowships
• Indirect costs
• Construction or renovation of facilities
• Political campaigns or lobbying
Purpose: To raise awareness of breast cancer and increase the capacity of effective breast health programs.
Amount: Up to $5,000
Recognition requirements: North Florida Susan G. Komen must be recognized in all materials.
Purpose: To assist grantees, health care professionals and advocates to attend, participate in and/or present at meetings, conferences or symposia that would increase the community knowledge of breast cancer and facilitate the exchange of ideas and communication between the scientific and lay public.
Amount: Up to $1,500.
Travel scholarship recipients must submit original receipts and a final report in order to be reimbursed.
Purpose: To partner with other organizations to support local scientific or educational conferences, with an emphasis on those that enhance the interaction between the advocate, healthcare and scientific communities. The content must focus on breast cancer or breast cancer must make up a significant part of the conference
Amount: Up to $5,000.
Recognition requirements: Conference organizers must provide complimentary registration for at least two (2) North Florida Affiliate representatives and an Affiliate display area where appropriate. In addition, North Florida Susan G. Komen must be recognized in all materials.
To apply for a Small Grant, send a type-written letter up to four pages on plain, white, single-sided 8 ½ x 11 paper using 12-point font. Four copies (one original and three duplicates) should be submitted. No special packaging (binders, plastic covers, etc.) or additional material (videotapes, annual reports, brochures, etc.) should be included.
The letter must contain the following information:
• A short description of the program or activity
• Measurable goals/objectives
• How this grant will further Komen’s mission
• Amount Requested
• Total Project Budget and other sources of funding
• Concise budget justification (explanation of how funds will be spent)
• For conferences only - anticipated number of participants, description of target participants, description of conference format including specific topics to be covered and speakers, if known.
• Other participating organizations.
The letter should be signed by the organization’s signatory, usually the President or Executive Director. Please attach proof of non-profit status.
The letter should be addressed and mailed as follows:
Ms. Delores Wise
North Florida Susan G. Komen
2950 Halcyon Lane #501
Jacksonville, Florida 32223